B&G H2000 + GPS + Expedition & Ventus

John Spadaro

02 Nov, 2014 07:53 PM

I have a B&G H2000 and I would like help intregating Expedition and the Ventus Pro app into my system. I have a DMK box without GPS.

Question 1: Do I need or should I hardwire the NEMA 183 from the B&G to my computer or use a Wifi connection with DMK box?
2. I would like to send Expedition data back to the B&G nema FFD. How do I wire for this?
3. Can the DMK box using wifi from a tablet running Ventus Pro send a start line ping back to Expedition? How is this wired?
4. The GPS chartplotter is wired thru a Noland multiplexer to share nema 183 data with the B&G and B&G intormation to chartplotter. This causes a problem in that the GPS position is repeated twice going into Expedition. The position information from the B&G is slower and causes the position to jitter in Expediton. How should I wire the system so that I can still have the GPS information shared with the B&G but not repeated back to Expedition. Do I need a second GPS sensor just connected to the PC for use by Expedition?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by kevin.dolan on 05 Dec, 2014 11:26 PM

Hello John,

I'm sorry this has taken me so long to answer your questions. Giving you a solid answer took some research and testing.

To send Expedition data back into the B&G FFD currently requires that you wire the computer to the FFD. If your computer has only USB connections then this requires a USB to serial adapter. Someday I hope Expeditions messages will be written back to wired displays through our DMK 11A but it doesn't to that today.

The way I set up Ventus and my laptop running Expedition using a DMK box was by wiring the box to my instruments and then setting the box up in Infrastructure Mode with another router. The DMK Box broadcast the instrument data through the router on port 1703. I set up a second network connecting using the Expedition and Ventus Settings that broadcast on port 5010. My laptop and iPhone were connected to the router. The iPhone would get data generated from the PC on 5010 and the start line and waypoint ping commands where sent back from the phone on 5010. At the same time the PC was listening to 1703 to get the feed from the boat's instruments.

Your GPS issue could be handled in a few different ways. Most require that Expedition be receiving its data from two different feeds. One way would be to ad another GPS sensor and configure Expedition to ignore the GPS data from the multiplexor's stream. The second would have our DMK 11A in Infrastructure Mode and a wired USB connection from the Noland. I would then configure Expedition to listen to the wind, depth and speed data from the USB and the GPS data from WiFi. If you wanted to display AIS it would also be routed over WiFi. In this case I would just wire our box directly to the charplotter so the data was fast going to the PC. The only way I can think of to have one connection would be to only take the NMEA feed from the B&G and not the GPS. As you said this makes the GPS update slower, so I wouldn't go this way. It is too bad that the GPS sentences can't be turned off by the B&G. Other electronics let you do this but after reading the manual I don't think it is possible with the H2000.

Describing exactly how you would wire everything is more clearly done with a diagram. I will create one and post it shortly.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac